At Nelstrops family millers we are very aware of the part each of us has to play in looking after the environment. To be sustainable we need to meet the needs of today without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs. As a sixth generation family business this stands at the very heart of the company’s ethos.
Here are some of the things we are doing:-
- We package our flours into recyclable paper bags with paper approved by the Forest Stewardship Council.
- We use natural unbleached craft paper for our bags.
- We use 100% English wheat for all our soft flours and in breadmaking flours wherever the quality allows. Over 80% of the wheat we use comes from England, with all our wheat traceable back to the farm where it was grown.
- We have near zero waste in the mill, with all grain coming to the mill being made into either food or animal feed.
- We work to minimise road miles in the delivery of our flour, by maximising the amount we put on each vehicle to reduce the number of lorries and planning the best delivery routes.
- For the electricity we use, we try to minimise this where possible with investment in the latest energy efficiency across the mill. We have installed LED lighting across the mill and a significant solar panel installation.
- We work with farmers to grow local wheat with the lowest environmental footprint. We were recently part of a BBC News ‘Green Futures’ feature which showed the local cycle we are part of; where residential green bin waste collections from Cheshire and Greater Manchester are being used to make a nutrient rich compost, which is then spread on farmers fields in Cheshire, who grow milling wheat, and the milling wheat coming to Nelstrops mill where it is turned into high quality flour for local bakers.