At Nelstrops family millers we are very aware of the part each of us has to play in looking after the environment. To be sustainable we need to meet the needs of today without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs. As a sixth generation family business this stands at the very heart of the company’s ethos.
Here are some of the things we are doing:-
- We package our flours into recyclable paper bags with paper approved by the Forest Stewardship Council.
- We use natural unbleached craft paper for our bags.
- We use 100% English wheat for all our soft flours and in breadmaking flours wherever the quality allows. Over 80% of the wheat we use comes from England, with all our wheat traceable back to the farm where it was grown.
- We have near zero waste in the mill, with all grain coming to the mill being made into either food or animal feed.
- We work to minimise road miles in the delivery of our flour, by maximising the amount we put on each vehicle to reduce the number of lorries and planning the best delivery routes.
- For the electricity we use, we try to minimise this where possible with investment in the latest energy efficiency across the mill. We have installed LED lighting across the mill and a significant solar panel installation.
- We were recently part of a BBC News ‘Green Futures’ feature – this showed a ‘local sustainable cycle’ in action - green bin waste collections are being collected near the mill and made into a nutrient rich compost. This compost is then spread on farmers fields in the Cheshire area who grow milling wheat which reduces fertiliser and other chemical use, and the milling wheat coming to Nelstrops mill and being tuned into high quality flour for food.